- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6 - 8
- 800g canned chickpeas or 720g jar giant chickpeas
- 3 onions, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves
- 5cm piece of ginger
- 2-3 green chillies, roughly chopped
- 1½ tbsp ghee
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chilli powder (Kashmiri if possible)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 ½ tsp amchoor powder (optional)
- 3 medium tomatoes (around 300g), roughly chopped, or 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ small pack coriander leaves, to serve
- STEP 1
Drain the chickpeas, add to a large pan with 400ml of water and season. Bring to the boil, then turn off the heat and set aside to allow the chickpea flavour to infuse the water.
- STEP 2
Blitz the onions with the garlic, ginger and green chillies. Melt the ghee in a large saucepan, then add the onion mix with a pinch of salt and cook for 8-10 mins, until softened.
- STEP 3
Stir in the spices, and cook for 3 more mins, adding a splash of the chickpea water to stop them sticking to the bottom of the pan. Add the tomatoes and another splash of water and cook for 5 mins, squishing the tomatoes with a spoon as they soften. Tip in the chickpeas, along with their cooking water. Cook for 10 mins. Season well, add the lemon juice, and a splash of water if you like a looser curry. Scatter with the coriander, to serve.