Caramelised onion & barley soup with cheese croutons
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions , thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , thinly sliced
- 6 thyme sprigs, chopped
- good pinch sugar
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 60g barley
- 60g cavolo nero or kale , thick stalks discarded and leaves sliced
- 4 slices baguette , toasted
- 4 tbsp grated gruyère cheese
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a saucepan, then add the onions, garlic, thyme, sugar and a good pinch of salt. Cook on a medium-low heat for 15-20 mins or until golden coloured. Add the stock and simmer for a further 10 mins.
- STEP 2
In a separate large saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the barley for 15 mins, adding the cavolo nero or kale for the final 3 mins of cooking. Drain and rinse under cold water, then add to the soup and warm through.
- STEP 3
Heat the grill. Top the toasted bread with cheese and place under the grill until it’s bubbly and melted. Serve in 2 large bowls with the cheesy croutons on top.