Cabbage & red rice salad with tahini dressing
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- Serves 4-6 as a side
This Middle Eastern inspired vegetarian side dish is full of contrasting textures - ideal paired with griddled prawns, chicken, fish or halloumi
- 200g red Camargue rice (we used red Camargue & wild rice from Waitrose), or use normal brown long-grain
- 350g firm, round cabbage , shredded
- bunch spring onions , thinly sliced
- zest and juice 1 large lemon
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil , plus extra to serve (optional)
- 1 tsp clear honey
- 1 tbsp tahini paste
- 100g Greek-style natural yogurt
- 1 garlic clove , crushed
- 50g dried cranberries or currants
- 2 tbsp pine nuts or a handful of walnut pieces
- 0.5 x 20g pack dill or parsley, roughly chopped
- STEP 1
Cook the rice following pack instructions. Meanwhile, put the cabbage and spring onions in a large bowl with the lemon zest, half the lemon juice, 1 tbsp oil and a good pinch of seasoning. Massage it all into the cabbage and set aside.
- STEP 2
Whisk together the rest of the lemon juice and oil plus the honey, tahini, yogurt and garlic, then loosen with 2 tbsp water. Season to taste.
- STEP 3
When the rice is tender, drain in a sieve, rinse briefly under the cold tap, then let it drain well. Tip the just-warm rice into the cabbage, adding most of the cranberries, nuts and herbs too. Now pour in most of the tahini dressing and mix. Pile onto a serving plate, then sprinkle with the remaining ingredients and drizzle with the final few spoonfuls of dressing and a slug more oil, if you like.