Smoked paprika prawn skewers
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus marinating
- Serves 6 - 8
- 12 large raw prawns
- ½ tbsp smoked Spanish paprika (sweet or hot, whichever you prefer)
- 2 large garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds , toased and ground
- couple of oregano sprigs, leaves finely chopped, or 1⁄2 tsp dried
- juice and zest of 1 large lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
You will also need:
- 12 mini wooden skewers
- STEP 1
Soak the skewers in a bowl of water for 10 mins. Meanwhile, peel the prawns, leaving the tails intact, and devein. To do this, run a sharp knife down the back, making a tiny incision just enough to remove the visible black vein. Wash the prawns and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- STEP 2
In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the paprika, garlic, cumin, oregano, lemon zest and 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the prawns and leave to marinate for 15 mins at room temperature. Then skewer a prawn onto each stick.
- STEP 3
Heat the remaining oil in a roomy frying pan and fry the prawns for 3-4 mins, turning halfway through until just cooked. You may need to do this in batches. Season, squeeze over some lemon juice and serve.