Brummie bacon cakes
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 4
- 3 rashers streaky bacon (we used smoked)
- 225g self-raising flour , plus extra for dusting
- 25g butter , cold and cut into small pieces
- 75g mature cheddar , grated
- 150ml milk , plus 2 tbsp extra for glazing
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- STEP 1
Heat grill to high and grill the bacon for 10 mins, turning halfway, until crisp. Cool for a few mins. Meanwhile, heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a baking sheet with parchment. Sift the flour and ½ tsp salt into a bowl, add the butter, then rub in to the texture of fine breadcrumbs. Cut the bacon into small pieces and add to the bowl with a third of the cheese.
- STEP 2
Mix the milk, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce in a jug. Pour into the bacon mixture, stirring briefly, to make a soft dough. Flour the work surface, turn the dough onto it and shape into an 18cm round. Brush with milk, then cut into 8 wedges with a large knife.
- STEP 3
Arrange the wedges on the baking sheet and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for 20-30 mins or until risen and golden brown, and serve warm (or cool on a wire rack, and store in an airtight container). Warm the bacon cakes through in a low oven (140C/120C fan/gas 1) if you’ve made them in advance.