Sunday morning baked eggs
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 large eggs
- large sprig tarragon , leaves chopped
- 50g gruyère (or vegetarian alternative), grated
- 100ml double cream
- 100g bag watercress , to serve
- Brummie bacon cakes (see 'Goes well with') or toast , to serve
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3 and bring a kettleful of water to the boil. Pour 1 tbsp oil into 4 shallow ramekins and crack 2 eggs into each. Season with sea salt and coarse black pepper, sprinkle with the tarragon and cheese, then spoon over the cream.
- STEP 2
Set the ramekins in a roasting tin, then quarter-fill the tin with water from the kettle. Carefully transfer to the oven and bake for 6-8 mins or until the egg whites are softly set and the yolks are runny. Serve immediately with the watercress on the side and Brummie bacon cakes (see 'Goes well with', right), toast, or gluten-free alternative.