Boston baked beans
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- Plus soaking
- Serves 6
- 500g pack dried haricot beans
- 2 onions , roughly chopped
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots , roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- ½ tbsp black treacle or molasses
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 800g piece pork belly
- handful parsley , roughly chopped
- STEP 1
Soak the beans in a large bowl of cold water for at least 4 hrs or overnight. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Drain and rinse the beans and put in a large flameproof casserole with 1.5 litres water. Boil for 10 mins, skimming off any scum that appears on the surface.
- STEP 2
Add the onion, celery, carrot, Dijon mustard, sugar, treacle or molasses and tomato purée. Stir until everything is well mixed, then bury the piece of pork in among the beans. Cover tightly and cook in the oven for 2-2½ hrs until the beans and pork are very tender. Check halfway through the cooking time and top up with hot water from the kettle if necessary.
- STEP 3
Take the pork out of the pot. Cut into large chunks and serve with the beans, sprinkled with parsley.