The best spaghetti bolognese recipe
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 rashers smoked streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2-3 sprigs rosemary leaves picked and finely chopped
- 500g beef mince
For the bolognese sauce
- 2 x 400g tins plum tomatoes
- small pack basil leaves picked, ¾ finely chopped and the rest left whole for garnish
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 red chilli deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 125ml red wine
- 6 cherry tomatoes sliced in half
To season and serve
- 75g parmesan grated, plus extra to serve
- 400g spaghetti
- crusty bread to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Put a large saucepan on a medium heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil.
- STEP 2
Add 4 finely chopped bacon rashers and fry for 10 mins until golden and crisp.
- STEP 3
Reduce the heat and add the 2 onions, 2 carrots, 2 celery sticks, 2 garlic cloves and the leaves from 2-3 sprigs rosemary, all finely chopped, then fry for 10 mins. Stir the veg often until it softens.
- STEP 4
Increase the heat to medium-high, add 500g beef mince and cook stirring for 3-4 mins until the meat is browned all over.
- STEP 5
Add 2 tins plum tomatoes, the finely chopped leaves from ¾ small pack basil, 1 tsp dried oregano, 2 bay leaves, 2 tbsp tomato purée, 1 beef stock cube, 1 deseeded and finely chopped red chilli (if using), 125ml red wine and 6 halved cherry tomatoes. Stir with a wooden spoon, breaking up the plum tomatoes.
- STEP 6
Bring to the boil, reduce to a gentle simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for 1 hr 15 mins stirring occasionally, until you have a rich, thick sauce.
- STEP 7
Add the 75g grated parmesan, check the seasoning and stir.
- STEP 8
When the bolognese is nearly finished, cook 400g spaghetti following the pack instructions.
- STEP 9