Beef & ginger stir-fry
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 500g beef rump, trimmed and cut into thin strips
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 300g pack ready-cooked rice noodle
- 1 large red chilli
- 1 fat garlic clove , chopped
- 4cm piece ginger , peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 stick lemongrass , trimmed and sliced
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 100g sugar snap peas , cut into thin strips
- 8 baby corn , sliced diagonally
- 6 spring onions , trimmed and sliced diagonally
- ½ lime
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp roasted peanut
- roughly chopped coriander , to serve
- STEP 1
Mix the beef and five-spice in a bowl, then set aside to marinate. Soften the noodles in boiling water following pack instructions, drain then set aside. Thinly slice the red chilli, leaving the seeds if you prefer a little extra heat. Mix with the garlic, ginger and lemongrass in a small bowl. Heat half the oil in a wok, add the chilli mixture and stir-fry for 1 min until softened but not coloured. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside while you cook the beef.
- STEP 2
Heat the remaining oil, add the beef and stir-fry over a high heat for 1 min until browned and just cooked through.
- STEP 3
Return the chilli mixture to the pan with the sugar snaps, baby corn and half the spring onions. Stir-fry for 1 min more before adding the drained noodles. Mix to thoroughly combine, take off the heat and add a squeeze of lime juice, the soy sauce and fish sauce.
- STEP 4
Divide between four plates. Scatter with the peanuts, garnish with remaining spring onions and chopped coriander.