Baked courgette & tomato gratin
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2-4
- 2 medium courgettes , sliced lengthways about ½cm thick
- 1 tbsp olive oil , plus extra for the dish and for drizzling
- 400g can chopped tomatoes , blitzed in a food processor
- 1 garlic clove , finely chopped
- handful of fresh basil (optional)
- 50g polenta or semolina flour
- 50g plain flour
- 1 large egg , beaten
- 1 ball of mozzarella , sliced (225g)
- 10g parmesan or vegetarian alternative, grated
- 50g breadcrumbs
- STEP 1
Sprinkle the courgettes with a pinch of sea salt flakes and lay them on a plate with another plate on top. Put a weight or tin on top to help push out the liquid.
- STEP 2
Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a non-stick frying pan and add the tomatoes and garlic. Cook over a medium heat, stirring, for 5 mins until thickened. Tear in the basil, if using, and season.
- STEP 3
Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and oil a roasting dish. Combine the flours in a bowl. Pour away the water from the courgette. Dip the courgette slices into the egg, then into the flour, and arrange in a layer over the bottom of the dish. Top with a few slices of mozzarella, followed by a layer of the tomato sauce, and repeat with another layer of courgette, mozzarella and sauce. Toss the cheese and breadcrumbs together, then scatter over the top.
- STEP 4
Drizzle with a little more olive oil, and bake for 40-45 mins until golden and bubbling. Serve with a herby red onion salad and some bread to mop it up, if you like. Can be frozen for up to two months.