Baked courgette & tomato gratin
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2-4
Make the most of courgette and tomatoes in this gratin, with melted mozzarella, fresh basil and a crunchy breadcrumb topping. It's a great freezing dish
- 2 medium courgettes , sliced lengthways about ½cm thick
- 1 tbsp olive oil , plus extra for the dish and for drizzling
- 400g can chopped tomatoes , blitzed in a food processor
- 1 garlic clove , finely chopped
- handful of fresh basil (optional)
- 50g polenta or semolina flour
- 50g plain flour
- 1 large egg , beaten
- 1 ball of mozzarella , sliced (225g)
- 10g parmesan or vegetarian alternative, grated
- 50g breadcrumbs
- STEP 1
Sprinkle the courgettes with a pinch of sea salt flakes and lay them on a plate with another plate on top. Put a weight or tin on top to help push out the liquid.
- STEP 2
Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a non-stick frying pan and add the tomatoes and garlic. Cook over a medium heat, stirring, for 5 mins until thickened. Tear in the basil, if using, and season.
- STEP 3
Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and oil a roasting dish. Combine the flours in a bowl. Pour away the water from the courgette. Dip the courgette slices into the egg, then into the flour, and arrange in a layer over the bottom of the dish. Top with a few slices of mozzarella, followed by a layer of the tomato sauce, and repeat with another layer of courgette, mozzarella and sauce. Toss the cheese and breadcrumbs together, then scatter over the top.
- STEP 4
Drizzle with a little more olive oil, and bake for 40-45 mins until golden and bubbling. Serve with a herby red onion salad and some bread to mop it up, if you like. Can be frozen for up to two months.
QUICK VEGGIE LASAGNE
Alternate layers of leftover baked courgette & tomato gratin with lasagne sheets in a baking dish. Top with canned tomatoes or passata and some sliced mozzarella. Bake at 200C/ 180C fan/gas 6 for 30 mins until golden and bubbling.