Bahia-style Moqueca prawn stew
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus chilling
- Serves 4
A Brazilian-inspired seafood casserole with creamy coconut sauce, coriander garnish and plenty of sunshine spice
- 450g large, raw, peeled prawn
- 75ml lime juice
- 3 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 spring onions , chopped
- 1 onion , sliced into half moons
- 1 red pepper , thinly sliced
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp paprika
- 3 plum tomatoes , deseeded and chopped
- 400ml coconut milk
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- steamed rice , to serve
- STEP 1
Place the prawns in a bowl with 2 tbsp of the lime juice, 1 tsp of salt and 1 tbsp of the chopped garlic. Chill for 1 hr.
- STEP 2
Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan. Add the spring onion and onion and fry for 5 mins, then add the red pepper, chilli flakes, paprika and remaining garlic.
- STEP 3
Pour in the tomatoes, coconut milk and a little salt. Bring to a simmer and let reduce for 10 mins. Add the prawns, all the marinade and remaining lime juice. Gently simmer until the prawns turn white, about 3 mins. Serve with the fresh coriander and rice.