- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion , thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves , thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 red chilli , seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 115g red lentils
- 1 large aubergine , cubed
- 400g can chickpeas (no need to drain)
For the raita
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and fry the onion, garlic and ginger for 8 mins until softened. Tip in the turmeric, coriander, cumin and chilli and cook for 20 seconds, stirring occasionally.
- STEP 2
Pour in 800ml boiling water, stir in the bouillon, lentils and aubergine, and cover the pan and leave to simmer for 15 mins until the lentils are pulpy. Stir in the chickpeas with their water, if you need a little more liquid, and cook for 5 mins.
- STEP 3
Meanwhile, stir the red onion, coriander, mint and tomatoes with the yogurt to make a raita. Spoon the dhal into two bowls, top with raita and scatter with mint leaves.