Asian short ribs with herb salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 4
A Thai-style beef recipe that's made in a pressure cooker - the meat becomes melt-in-the-mouth in its rich sauce.
- large piece of ginger , finely chopped
- large pack coriander , stalks and leaves separated
- 1 red onion , finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 beef short ribs
- 1 tsp golden caster sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 50ml oyster sauce
- 500ml chicken stock
- 3 star anise
- 2 tbsp Chinese black rice wine vinegar
- cooked basmati rice , to serve
For the herb salad
- STEP 1
In a mini chopper, make a paste with the ginger, coriander stalks, onion and garlic, then set aside. Heat the oil in the pressure cooker pan and brown the meat well on all sides, then remove. Fry the paste for 2-3 mins with 1 tsp golden caster sugar. Return the ribs to the pan and add the soy sauce, star anise, oyster sauce and enough chicken stock to just cover the ribs.
- STEP 2
Bring to a simmer, cover and bring up to high pressure. Cook for 45 mins, then release the pressure slowly. Take off the lid, add a splash of vinegar and remove the ribs from the pan. Simmer the sauce down until reduced and intensely flavoured. While the sauce is simmering, mix the salad ingredients together. Serve each rib in a puddle of sauce, topped with a pile of salad and rice on the side.