Artichokes & herby olive sauce
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- Serves 4
- 1 lemon , halved, plus juice 1½ lemons
- 4 globe artichokes
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 20 pitted Kalamata olives , roughly chopped
- 1 small tomato , finely chopped
- ½ small bunch mint , finely chopped
- ½ small bunch parsley , finely chopped
- STEP 1
Bring one or two large pans of salted water to the boil with the lemon halves in. Cut the stalk off each artichoke and discard. Boil the artichokes for 40-45 mins until the base feels tender when the tip of a knife is inserted.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, make the sauce. Mix the lemon juice, oil, olives, tomato and herbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- STEP 3
To eat, pull off the leaves, dip the bottom end into sauce and discard the tips of the leaves. When you get to the middle, scrape out the hairy ‘choke’ and eat the artichoke heart.