Caribbean Mince Pies
Member recipe by jsneale0310
ServingsServes 1 - 30 Pies
- For the pastry:
- 8oz butter, cubed, at room temperature
- 1lb all purpose flour
- 2oz icing sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- For the mincemeat:
- 3oz bramley apples, cored and chopped small
- 1 small banana, peeled and mashed
- 4 oz mixed dried fruit
- 2 oz dried pineapple, diced
- 1 oz shredded suet (vegetarian suet will work fine)
- 2 oz soft dark brown sugar
- Juice and grated zest of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon of coconut milk (optional)
- 1 level teaspoon of mixed ground spice
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 small handfull whole almonds, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon dark rum (optional)
- For glazing:
- A little milk/beaten egg
- Preheat oven to 200 C (fan ovens 180) or gas mark 6
- For the pastry: Sift the flour into a mixing bowl, add the butter and rub with your fingertips until it has the consistency of fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the icing sugar.
- Make a well in the centre and add the egg yolks and about a tablespoon of cold water to make a soft dough. Knead gently until smooth and no longer sticky.
- ALTERNATIVE: Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until it looks like dough!
- Chill the pastry dough while you are making the mincemeat
- For the mincemeat: Put all the ingredients apart from the rum into a saucepan.
- Cook on a low heat, mixing frequently, until everything is soft and thoroughly combined
- Remove the pan from the heat allow the mixture to cool, stirring occasionally
- Once cold, mix thoroughly (optional: stir in the rum at this point)
- Construction: you will need a round pastry cutter and a bun tin:
- 1.Roll out your pastry to about 3mm (eighth of an inch) thickness 2.Cut one large circle for the base, and a smaller one for the lid 3.Place the base in a bun tin and loosely fill with the mincemeat mixture 4.Put the lid on top and pinch around the edge to join it to the base 5.Optional: brush the lid with milk or a beaten egg to glaze 6.Repeat until all your pastry and mincemeat is used up!
- Bake for around 20 minutes until golden, remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before placing onto a wire rack. Cool and dust with icing sugar before serving!