Family Irish Stew
Member recipe by keithgibo
This is a recipe which my Mother has passed on to me as her Mother has to her.
- 1-1ÃÂ½ kg neck or shoulder of lamb
- Bouquet of parsley, thyme and bayleaf (tied together with twine)
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 carrots, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small turnip, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Some small new potatoes, peeled and quartered, or large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 75-100g cabbage, shredded
- Finely chopped parsley and dash of Worcester Sauce
- n a fresh pot put the meat, bones, bouquet of herbs, onions, seasoning, carrots, leeks and turnip and cover with water. Simmer gently for one hour. Skim off the foam as it rises. (this is very important for the final flavour and appearance of the stew.) Add the potatoes and continue cooking for 25 minutes. For the last 5 minutes add in the cabbage. When the meat and vegetables are cooked remove the bones and bouquet for herbs. Stir in the chopped parsley and a dash of Worcester sauce.
- Serve in a deep bowl with soda
- All done easy peasy !