Turkey & Vegetable Ragu
Member recipe by harley121202
A healthy turn on a bolognaise pasta sauce. Healthy & great for getting kids to eat vegetables
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chunkily chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and chunkily chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chunkily chopped
- 2 large courgettes, chunkily chopped
- 3/4 punnet closed cup mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large red onion, chunkily chopped
- 1 small punnet baby plum tomatoes, halved
- 500g turkey mince
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2tsp sherry vinegar
- 2tsp bovril
- pinch of sugar
- small splash worcestershire sauce
- Pasta to serve
- Add the onions to a pan and saute in a little spray oil for 5 mins. add the peppers and cook until tender. Add to a saucepan.
- Fry the remaining veggies in a little spray oil until starting to get tender but only just. Add to the onions and peppers.
- Fry the turkey mince in a little spray oil until cooked. Add to the veggies and put onto a medium heat Add the tomatoes, tinned tomatoes, sherry vinegar, tomato puree, pinch of sugar bovril, thyme, worcestershire and season. Leave to cook for 15 mins, storring occasionally.
- Taste for seasoning. It is supposed to have a depth of flavour from the bovril but tangy from the vinegar. If it is too bland add a little more bovril and vinegar. If it is too vinegary, add a little more sugar. Adjust to your own tastes. I like mine quite tangy.
- Leave to cook for another 10 mins or so. You want a decent amount of juice to account for the pasta being mixed in. I find conchigli works well. Just boil and mix into the sauce once cooked. Good served witha nice peppery side salad.