Member recipe by chiwong
- 1 loaf crusty baguette
- 8 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped and drained
- Half a small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves of crushed garlic
- 6 to 8 leaves of fresh basil, finely chopped or chiffonade
- 30ml balsamic vinegar
- 60ml to 80ml extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, mix the onions, tomatoes, garlic and basil using a large metal spoon, taking care not to mash or break up the tomatoes too much.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix the contents again.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. This will allow the flavours to soak and blend together.
- Slice the baguette loaf diagonally, into thick slices and lightly toast the slices until they are light brown on both sides.
- Serve the mixture on the warm slices of bread. If you prefer the mixture at room temperature, remove from the fridge half an hour before serving.