Member recipe by imabadpixie
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Cakes
- 4oz golden caster sugar
- 4oz butter, softened
- 4oz self raising flour
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1tbs vanilla essence
- 1tbs mixed spice
- Milk to soften batter if necessary
- For the Icing
- 75g room temp butter
- 150g icing sugar
- 1/2 shot of whisky (scotch works well) - or to taste
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4 and line some cupcake tins with cases. Cream the sugar and butter in a bowl until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs gradually mixing well inbetween additions.
- Fold in the flour along with the essence & spice (and milk is necessary) and then spoon into the cases filling to the top.
- Place in the middle of pre-heated oven and bake for 20-25 mins until golden and springy to touch. Leave these in the tin for 5 mins and then transfer to a cooling rack until cold.
- While cakes are baking, cream the butter with the icing sugar and then gradually add the whisky to taste.
- Cut a circular hole in the top of each cake. Cut the piece of removed cake into two. Fill the holes with 2 tsb of icing and then place the cake pieces back on top like butterfly wings. Dust with Icing sugar if desired.