CAJUN CHICKEN GUMBO
Member recipe by blossomannie
- 1½ Kg chicken pieces
- 2 teasps Cajun spice mix
- 30g butter
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 3 cups chopped Cajun vegetables
- 2 teasps chick stock powder or 2 Knorr chicken stock cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teasps chilli flakes
- 1 whole clove
- 3 allspice berries
- ½ teasp dried thyme
- 3 cups water
- 250g spicy smoked pork sausage sliced thickly
- 3 spring onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Season the chicken with spice mix. Melt butter in a large pan, add the chicken and cook for 15 minutes. Remove and keep warm/
- Stir flour into the pan drippings and whisk over high heat for about 5 minutes to made roux (dark brown but not burnt) Add Cajun vegetables to the roux and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Return the chicken to pan, add stock powder, bay leaves, chilli flakes, clove, allspice, thyme and water. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes. Add the sausage and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Add spring onions and parsley. Simmer for 2 minutes and service with plenty of steamed white rice.
- NOTE: Cajun vegetables consist of equal quantities of onion, green pepper and celery.