Watercress and rocket soup
Member recipe by meritill
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 100g bag of watercress, spinach and rocket mixed leaves
- 2 small onions
- 1 clove garlic
- tsp oil
- 650 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 tblsp double cream
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a medium pan, when fully melted remove from the heat and add the flour, mixing to form a roux.
- Place the roux back on a medium heat and cook for two mins stirring continuously.
- Add the stock a little at a time, stirring with a fork until it has been fully incorperated. It will form a thick gravy soup.
- Add 3/4 of the bag of mixed leaves and simmer for 5 mins.
- In a seperate pan fry the onions in the oil for 5 mins til soft, add the chopped garlic and the rest of the mixed leaves, let the leaves sweat for 3-4 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked leaves, garlic and onions to the other pan and stir together and simmer for a further two mins.
- Blend with a hand blender until it is smooth. Add the cream and stir in. Serve hot with crusty ciabatta.