Roast Pork Belly
Member recipe by vickimaree
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2kg piece boneless pork belly with skin
- 2 stalks rosemary, sprigs removed and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp white peppercorns
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra
- 1 brown onion, cut into wedges
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into 5cm pieces
- 2 sticks celery, cut into large pieces
- 6 baby turnips, trimmed,
- halved lengthways
- 800g diced tomatoes
- 2½ cups chicken stock
- ½ cup barley
- 3 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Grease a roasting pan. Rub oil onto pork and place belly, skin-side down, into pan. Place in oven and roast for 1 hour or until skin is golden and crisp. Place rosemary, fennel seeds, lemon rind, garlic, salt and peppercorns into a mortar and pestle.
- Grind until finely ground. Turn pork belly and sprinkle with salt mixture. Reduce oven temperature to 180°C and cook for 45 minutes or until meat is very tender. Transfer to a chopping board. Stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, heat extra oil in a large roasting pan or large heatproof casserole dish over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and turnips. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften. Add tomatoes and stock. Transfer to oven and cook for 30 minutes. Add barley and bay leaves.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until barley and vegetables are tender. Spoon barley mixture onto a large platter. Top with pork and serve.