30 second pulled pork
Member recipe by warrenduignan
A great recipe for slow cooked pork shoulder - Slow cooker or BBQ !
- Pork shoulder - 2kg is a good size. Neck end, bone in is best, but if supermarket meat is all you can get, then so be it.
- For the Dry Rub (makes more than needed!)
- 2 tablespoons garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- A few pinches of chilli flakes
- For the brine
- 100ml apple juice/cider
- 50ml cider vinegar
- 2 onions
- Bring the pork out of the fridge, and apply the dry rub all over, fat and all. Work it in well. If there is a bbq rub you like, use it! Adjust the spices to your liking!
- Leave it for at least 1 hour!!! Chop your onions, and line the bottom of your slow cooking dish with them.
- Timing is key here - i say 30 seconds per gram for a cut of this size, making our 2kg cut well into the 16 hour range.
- Lift your pork into the dish, low heat. Write the time down! After around 8 hours, i'd consider draining 3/4s of the fluid off. Keep it though, it makes great stock once its skimmed !
- DING. 16 hours later......Turn the cooker off, and LEAVE it alone for 1 hour. After that time, Remove it from the dish, and begin "pulling" the meat apart with 2 forks.
- You can put the pulled pork back in the cooking dish with the juices at this point, until you are ready to serve. if you do, keep it on low.
- Serve in a wrap, bread roll, or however you choose. 'Slaw is a must - Hot sauce if you like it !