Maggypat's Trifle Bombe
Member recipe by margaretpbrown
Delicious, unusual trifle, served upside down and cut like a cake!
- 2 pkts trifle sponges or jam Swiss rolls or a slab of Madeira cake
- 2 sachets Dream Topping
- 1 tin of fruit cocktail in syrup
- Medium sized dark chocolate bar (grated)
- About 3 fluid ounces of sherry (optional)
- 1 and a half sachets of gelatine
- I pint double cream
- Line a large glass or plastic bowl with trifle sponges or slices of Swiss Roll or slices of Madeira Cake.
- In another large bowl mix up the Dream Topping with milk according to directions on the Dream Topping packet.
- Open tin of fruit cocktail and drain half the juice into a small jug and add the sherry if required.
- Drizzle the mixed sherry and juice around the top edge of the lined bowl so that the sponge/cake becomes moistened all over.
- Put the remainder of the fruit juice into a cup and add the gelatine. Place the cup into a pan of hot water in order to dissolve the gelatine.
- Whilst the gelatine is dissolving, add the fruit cocktail into the mixed Dream Topping and add 3/4 of the grated chocolate. Mix gently together and then stir in the prepared gelatine.
- Pour the Dream Topping mixture into the sponge/cake lined bowl.
- Cover bowl with cling film and place in refrigerator overnight. (Can be left for less time provided it has set)
- The next day (or when set) remove from fridge, remove cling film and level off and remove the excess sponge so the top of the trifle is flat.
- Put a large plate over the top of the bowl and completely turn upside so the trifle slides out of the bowl onto the plate. Mix the cream until thick enough to spread over the trifle. It will now look like an igloo, sprinkle with grated chocolate and serve! Delicious!!