3-in-1 brown-buttered winter vegetables
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- 3 carrots , thickly sliced, at an angle
- 300g Brussels sprouts , trimmed and halved, if they’re large
- 2 leeks , trimmed and thickly sliced, at an angle
- 75g butter
- handful sage leaves (optional)
- STEP 1
Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, tip in the carrots and boil for 3 mins, then add the sprouts and boil for another minute before adding the leeks. Boil everything for 5 mins more, then drain well.
- STEP 2
Sizzle the butter in a large frying pan or sauté pan until it turns a nutty brown, then add the sage, if using. Let it crackle, then transfer to a plate, leaving the butter in the pan. Add some cracked black pepper to the butter, tip in the vegetables and gently stir-fry until the veg is piping hot and starting to brown around the edges. Season with sea salt and serve straightaway, with the sage scattered over, if using.