- 6 egg
The ultimate convenience food, eggs are powerhouses of nutrition, packed with protein and a…
- 2 tsp pesto, or 1 tsp mustard or harissa, or 2 tbsp fresh chopped herbs of your choice
Pesto is a generic Italian name for any sauce made by pounding ingredients together.
- large handful leftovers such as grated cheese, chopped ham, chorizo, sliced sausage, cooked bacon rashers, tuna or smoked salmon
- 3 spring onion, finely chopped
Also known as scallions or green onions, spring onions are in fact very young onions, harvested…
- 125g cooked pasta or 200g chopped cooked potato
Pasta is the Italian name for Italy's version of a basic foodstuff which is made in many…
- handful veg such as frozen spinach or peas, canned corn, roasted peppers, fried courgettes or mushrooms
Used in almost every cuisine across the world, spinach is an enormously popular green vegetable…
- 1½ tbsp vegetable oil
- tomato salad, to serve (optional)
Beat the eggs with seasoning and your chosen background flavour, then add your leftovers. Stir in the spring onions and pasta or potatoes with your selected veg.
Turn on the grill to high. Heat the oil in a medium non-stick frying pan and tip in the egg mixture. Cook gently for 10 mins over a low heat until three-quarters set, then flash under the grill to set the top. Serve with a simple tomato salad.
Take care with your fillingsThe idea with this tortilla recipe is to clear the odds and ends from your fridge, but don’t go too crazy as the egg still needs to be the predominant ingredient, so that it sticks everything together.
Using leftoversThis tortilla uses leftovers as the main ingredient and matches them to a storecupboard flavour. Try tuna and greens with pesto, cheese and bacon with mustard, chorizo and peppers with harissa, and salmon with herbs.