Bramley & Treacle RolyPoly
Member recipe by llcoolbaz
Delicious bramley apple and treacle roly poly - A fruity twist on the classic comfort pudding
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 6 tbsp golden syrup
- 50g soft light brown sugar
- 15g butter
- 225g self raising flour, plus extra for rolling
- 100g suet
- pinch of salt
- 2 Bramley apples (approx 450g), peeled, cored and chopped into about 1cm pieces
- icing sugar for dusting
- custard, ice-cream or cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan ovens/Gas 5
- Put the lemon zest and juice in a saucepan with just 2 tbsp of the golden syrup, sugar, butter and 125ml of water. Bring to a simmer and then remove from the heat, and leave to cool slightly.
- Mix together the flour, suet, salt and about 150ml cold water to form a soft pliable dough. Roll out on a surface lightly dusted with flour to about 25cm square, 5mm thick.
- Drizzle the remaining 4 tbsp of syrup over the top and scatter over the apples, leaving a 1cm border of suet pastry around the edges.
- Roll into a cylinder shape and using a sharp knife, cut into 2.5-3cm slices. Lay in the baking dish, overlapping slightly. Pour the lemon syrup mixture in the saucepan over the top and place in the oven for 35-40 minutes until the pudding is nicely golden and bubbling.
- Dust the cooked pudding with icing sugar and serve hot with custard, ice-cream or cream.