Victoria Sponge Cake
Member recipe by honey-bearr
- 225g Self Raising Flour
- 225g Unsalted Butter
- 225g Castar Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 2 tablespoons of Vanilla Essense/Extract.
- 2 cups of British Whipping Cream
- 6 tablespoons of Jam of your choice or fresh strawberries.
- MAKE SURE YOU MIX EVERYTHING AT A MODERATE SPEED IF USING ELECTRIC MIXER, IF MIXED TOO FAST CAKE BECOMES FIRM - ITS ALL ABOUT AIR IN THE MIX.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4
- Mix butter and sugar together until creamy and lump free using either an electric mixer or hand mixer.
- Beat eggs and add vanilla essense/extract.
- Add eggs to the mix and mix until creamy.
- Then add the flour slowly whilst mixing.
- The mix is ready when its of a dropping consistency. Dip a spoon into the mixture and see if it drops off it easily.. if it does, it's ready.
- Grease a deep cake tin with butter and add mixture. Cake takes around 45mins to cook. Dont be tempted to check it before around 25 mins time. The less you open your oven the better.
- NOW TO MAKE THE FRESH CREAM.
- Pour two cups of British Whipping Cream into a mixing bowl and mix on a moderate speed. Add 3 tablespoons of sugar whilst mixing. The cream is ready when soft peaks form on top. Be carefu not to mix too much otherwise it will turn to butter.