Crispy sweet and sour chicken
Member recipe by catx84
Crispy Tempura chicken in a sweet and sour sauce.....a Chinese take away at half the price.
- For The Sauce:-
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil/ cooking oil (olive oil works better)
- 1 onion or a couple of spring onions Diced
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1 Tablespoon of dark soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons of Balsamic Vinegar (Any vinegar will do but I find this is the best)
- 1 Tablespoon of tomato puree
- 125 ml of cold Water
- 1 Tablespoon of cornflour
- 2 Tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 567g tin of chopped Pineapple (but use all of the juice from the tin for the sauce)
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1 carrot sliced into thin strips
- For The Crispy Chicken
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts chopped into chunks
- 100g cornflour
- 150g plain flour
- 10g baking powder
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Iced water (enough to make a thin batter that will just stick to your finger)
- Firstly in a saucepan heat a tbsp of cooking/olive oil on medium heat. Add the diced onion and let them sweat for a couple of minutes. (While the onions are sweating you can put a separate pan of water on to boil for the rice to cook in.)
- Then add to the onions the garlic, soy sauce, vinegar and tomato puree. Keep stirring this mixture.
- Mix the corn flour (for the sauce) in the cold water then add to the pan.
- Stir in the sugar then add your pepper, carrot and pineapple with the juice from the tin. Bring to the boil then simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- While the sauce is simmering you can mix up your batter. mix the two flours together and baking powder,gently add iced water, briefly stir- can stay lumpy but do not over stir.
- Dip your chicken in the batter and deep fry until a golden brown colour. (cut into one of the chicken pieces to ensure it is cooked thoroughly)
- serve chicken on a plate then pour the sauce over the top. Serve with rice.
- Also try this recipe with either pork, prawns, vegetables or tofu.