Mini Apple,Rum and Raisin Pies
Member recipe by charlottexx
ServingsServes 1 - 6 Pies
Small and sweet, these little treats and a perfect winter warmer and even christmas!
- For the pastry
- 225g of plain flour
- 110G of butter
- 25g of light brown sugar
- 1 Egg
- For the filling
- 3 meduim sized red apples, chopped quite small
- 85g of raisins
- 70g of light brown sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)
- 3 tbsp of rum
- 3/4 of a tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 a tsp of nutmeg
- For the sauce
- 2tbsp of rum
- 70ml of water
- Silicone cupcake case or mini muffin mould
- For the pastry, Combine the flour,sugar and butter together. Rub with your fingetips until breadcrumbs and then add the egg. Using a knife bind it all together, then using your hands shape into a ball. Place in fridge to chill for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, Place the raisins and rum into a bowl and leave to soak for about 5 minutes. Add the apple, sugar and spices to a seperate bowl and after soaking add the raisins, using your hands mixed it all together. Put to one side for now.
- Once chilled, take the pastry out of the fridge and roll out just a tiny bit thinner than a 1 pound coin ( if too thin it will go soggy and leak through at the bottom). Using a cutter cut out the circles just bigger than the cupcake cases and place carefully in the case leaving a slight over hang around the edges. Take a tbsp of the mixer making sure there is equal amounts of raisin and apple in each, place in each case. Leaving the liquid in the bowl. Don't worry if there's left overs as this is what will make the sauce.
- Re-roll the pastry and cut out slighter smaller circles with a cutter, for the lids. Place ontop of the pie mixtures folding the overhanging pastry over the top and sealing with fingers. Make sure there are no holes. For the sauce add the left over mixture to a seperate pan and spread evenly.
- Pierce each pie with a knife in the middle and sprinkle for a bit of extra sugar. Cook them on 180C/356F for 25-30mins on the middle shelf until a crisp golden brown( after 13 minutes place the left over mixture on the shelf below) place the pies on wrack to cool slighty. Quickly place the mixture into a bowl leaving any juice, and put the rum into the pan along with the water and using scraper or spatula scrape the remains off the bottom. Pour into the bowl and place in microwave for 30 seconds. Serve with pies. You could even have icecream or custard too.