Gluten Free Rice Bread
Member recipe by gf_recipes
A gluten free bread recipe that can be easily used for sandwiches, as it is light, soft and airy. Though brown rice flour is used for fiber content, you may substitute white rice flour.
- 1 cup filtered water, heated to 110-115 Degrees Fahrenheit
- 2 teaspoons evaporated cane juice or sugar
- 2 teaspoons unsulphurated molasses
- 2 teaspoons brown rice syrup
- 2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 1 1/8 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup tapioca starch
- 3/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup teff flour
- 1/8 cup (2 Tablespoons) flax seed meal
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum (or guar gum)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1/4 cup neutral cooking oil (I use extra virgin olive oil)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- Oil a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. Preheat oven between 170 and 200 degrees fahrenheit (lowest possible).
- Mix warm water with brown rice syrup, molasses, and yeast in a cup larger than 8 oz., as it may bubble over; set aside until foamy on the top, about 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat the egg whites at high speed in a large mixing bowl until large bubbles form, about 20 seconds. Whisk together the dry ingredients; and set aside.
- Add dry ingredients all at once and mix on low speed until all dry ingredients are moistened; beat on high for 1 minute.
- Add dough batter to prepared pan and distribute and smooth the top using a rubber spatula. You'll want to meet all sides of the pan. If you miss the corners that will still be okay, as it will fill in upon rising. To smooth out the top, drop a few drops of water on the top, and spread evenly with a rubber spatula.
- Place the bread pan in the oven. Turn oven off. Allow the dough to rise until the center is about 1/2 inch over the top of the pan, about 22 minutes. It will rise more while the oven is heating and during baking. Remove pan from oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit .
- Place the pan on the center of the rack in the center of the oven and bake for about 35 minutes or more, or until the bread reaches about 210 degrees fahrenheit.
- Immediately remove the loaf from the oven and the pan; slice off the two ends to allow the steam to escape; and set the loaf on a cooling rack to cool to cool completely.
- Once cooled, it will shrink a little bit. Slice it with an electric slicer, electric knife or serrated knife. You'll get about 13-16, depending upon how thick you slice it.