- 1 courgette, halved and thinly sliced
The courgette is a variety of cucurtbit, which means it's from the same family as cucumber,…
- 200g frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 vegetable or chicken stock cube or concentrate
- 250g bag of ready-cooked basmati rice (or left-over cooked, cooled rice)
- 100g bag baby spinach
- 4 tbsp pesto (fresh from the chiller cabinet has the best flavour and colour)
Pesto is a generic Italian name for any sauce made by pounding ingredients together.
- olive oil for drizzling (optional)
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- grated Parmesan, to serve
Parmesan is a straw-coloured hard cheese with a natural yellow rind and rich, fruity flavour. It…
Boil the kettle. Tip the courgette and peas into a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Cover the bowl, then leave for 3 mins until the vegetables have softened slightly. Meanwhile, re-boil the kettle and make up 600ml/1pt of stock and taste it for seasoning as this is the base of the soup.
Drain the veg, then put back into the bowl along with the rice and spinach leaves. Pour over the hot stock, then cover and leave for another 2 mins until heated through and the spinach has wilted.
Season to taste, then ladle the soup into serving bowls. Add a swirl of pesto, olive oil, if using, and the grated parmesan. Serve with crusty bread.
Make it meatyShred a cooked chicken breast and add to the soup with the rice.
Make it zingyStir in the zest of a lemon along with the pesto.
Make it differentReplace the rice with drained, canned cannellini beans.