BBQ steak with piquant pepper
Member recipe by orchidcharity
Orchid, the male cancer charity, are calling on people across the UK to fire up their BBQ's to raise awareness of male cancer. In conjunction with some great celebrity chefs including the Fabulous Baker Brothers, Gordon Ramsay and Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall, we've come up with the ultimate BBQ recipes for the summer. www.the-big-bbq.co.uk #BIGBBQ
- 6 beef steaks, about 200g each
- 2 tsp sweet hot smoked paprika
- 2tsp pink peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 1 glass red wine
- 6-7 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red peppers
- 4 garlic cloves (unpeeled)
- 2 lemons
- Salt and pepper
- Lay the steaks in a shallow dish and sprinkle with 1 tsp paprika and the pink peppercorns. Pour on the wine and 2 tbsp olive oil, then cover and leave to marinate for at least 1 hour. Return to room temperature before cooking
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Toss the whole peppers and garlic cloves with 2 tbsp olive oil and roast on a baking tray for 20 minutes until the skin is scorched and wrinkled. Leave to cool on the tray.
- Squeeze the garlic pulp out of the skins into a food processor. Peel the roasted peppers, open and remove the seeds, then add to the blender with any juices. Whizz to a smooth paste.
- With the motor running, add 1 tsp paprika, the juice of half a lemon and 2-3 tbsp olive oil, processing to emulsify. Add seasoning to taste.
- Cut the other 1 and a half lemons into fairly thick slices, removing any pips.
- Cook the steaks on the barbecue over a high heat, along with the lemon slices. Allow 3-5 minutes on each side or according to preference, and then allow to rest on a warm plate for 5 minutes. Serve topped with the lemon slices and accompanied by the sauce.