Chicken barley soup
Member recipe by kjhey8
- ÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂ¢ 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂ¢ 4 carrots, diced small
- ÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂ¢ 4 celery stalks, diced small
- ÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂ¢ 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- ÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂ¢ 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- ÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂ¢ Coarse salt and ground pepper
- ÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂ¢ 1.4l chicken broth
- ÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂ¢ 5 sprigs thyme
- ÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂ¢ 250g quick-cooking barley
- ÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂ¢ 150 gms baby spinach
- In a heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add carrots, celery, and onion. Cook until just tender, about 8 minutes. Add chicken, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until chicken is opaque at edges, about 2 minutes.
- Add broth and thyme and bring to a boil. Stir in barley. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until barley is tender and chicken is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted, 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.