Apple and Pear Cake
Member recipe by cannedfood
Cinnamon Apple and Pear Crumble Cake with Custard. Canned fruit makes this much easier and the result is perfect. www.cannedfood.co.uk
- For the cake:
- ½ (385g) can sliced apples, drained
- ½ (410g) can pear quarters, drained
- 180g caster sugar
- 180g butter
- 150g self raising flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 3 eggs
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- For the crumble:
- 60g caster sugar
- 90g butter
- 120g self raising flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- To serve:
- 1 425g can custard
- Preheat the oven 180C/ 350F/Gas4. Grease and line the base of a 23cm round, deep cake tin.
- Cut the apples and pears into slices and toss with ½ the cinnamon and set aside.
- Crumble: 1. Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. 2. Add the remaining cinnamon and sugar; mix well and set aside.
- Cake: 1. Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until pale. 2. Add the remaining ingredients and beat until combined. 3. Pour the mixture into the cake tin, place fruit slices on the top and sprinkle with the crumble mixture.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes in the middle of the oven until firm and golden.
- Cool in the tin before transferring to a wire rack.
- Serve warm, or cold with a generous helping of creamy custard.