Slow roast lamb
Member recipe by leoniecourt
Tender, fall-apart lamb with caramelized carrots and shallots and a rich port gravy
- half shoulder of lamb (approx 1.2kg)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 150ml red wine
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 20 shallots, peeled
- 2 large carrots, peeled & sliced into sticks
- 50ml port
- 1 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- Preheat the oven to 240C/ fan 220C/ gas 9. Season the lamb and rub with the oil. Place in a casserole and roast with the lid off for 30 mins.
- Reduce the temperature to 150C/ fan 130C/ gas 2. Use tongs to turn the lamb over and add the wine, stock, garlic cloves and herbs to the casserole. Cover with the lid and cook for 5 hours.
- Turn the lamb over again, using the tongs. Arrange the carrots and shallots in the cassarole around the lamb and cook for a further hour.
- Transfer the vegetables to a separate ovenproof dish using a slotted spoon and place the dish in the oven, along with the casserole containing the lamb. Cook for a further 30 mins.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and increase the heat to 240C/ fan 220C/ gas 9. Tip the cooking juices from the casserole into a saucepan and add the port and redcurrant jelly. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 mins until the gravy has reduced and has a rich consistency.
- Shred the lamb into large chunks and remove the vegetables from the oven. Serve together with the gravy. Dauphinoise potatoes and steamed fine green beans are perfect accompaniments to this dish.