Member recipe by sweetunique
- 1 can pizza dough (yeah thats right: pizza dough)
- 3.5 cups canola oil (but in a pinch veg oil will do)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 4-6 hungry tummies
- Roll out pizza dough on a floured cutting board until about 1/4 Ã¢ÂÂ 1/2 inches thick.
- Heat oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon until well blended. If you need more, just remember to add twice as much sugar as you do cinnamon.
- Use a large round cookie cutter to cut out the donuts. Then use a small, 3/4-inch round cookie cutter to cut out a hole in the center of each donut. Save the center dough circles for donut holes.
- Make sure the oil is hot by dropping a teeny tiny piece of dough into the oil. If itÃ¢ÂÂs ready, it should start sizzling up immediately (not a lot, but enough).
- Using a slotted spoon, carefully transfer the cut out donut dough into the oil. I can fit about 4 or 5 in our saucepan at a time without overcrowding; use your best judgment based on the size of your saucepan.
- Allow the dough to soak in the oil until the bottoms turn slightly golden, then turn them over. Once they are a nice golden color, use the slotted spoon to carefully lift them out of the pan and onto a plate.
- Allow the donuts to cool just slightly, then gingerly dip each donut in the cinnamon sugar mixture, covering all sides with the sugary goodness.