Sweet and spicy beef kebab
Member recipe by lilmsbasketcase
ServingsServes 1 - 6
A really simple beef kebab, that tastes great done in the oven or on the BBQ. (makes enough for 2 people as a main meal, or 3 people as a light meal.)
- for the marinade:
- 2 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2.5 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 tsp golden syrup
- for the kebabs:
- 400g beef
- 1 medium onion
- chili flakes (for sprinkling over kebabs).
- 6 skewers (aprox 20cm long)
- combine all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and stir with a fork until combined.
- take the beef, and with the back of a large knife, tenderize untill it is about 1cm thick. then slice the beef into 5cm long strips.
- place the beef into a sandwich bag, and pour over the marinade. place the bag in the fridge and leave to marinade overnight (this step can be reduced down to 20 minutes if you dont have time, but it is better after marinating overnight.)
- approx 1 hour before cooking, place bamboo skewers in a shallow tray, and cover with one hour, to avoid burning during the cooking process.
- preheat your oven to 170c/fan 150c/gas 5 and slice the onion into thick wedges (aprox 12 wedges) and separate each wedge in half. (so you should end up with 24 chunks of onion).
- take the marinading beef out of the freezer and thread onto the soaked skewers, alternating with the chunks of onion.
- once all of the onion and beef has been used, brush the onion with the remaining marinade sauce and sprinkle with chili flakes. place the kebabs on a tray and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, turning half way through the cooking process.
- check that the beef is cooked by cutting into one of the strips. once the kebab is cooked, remove from the oven, and serve immediately.