Lemon & Poppy Seed Cake
Member recipe by louiza201
- 50g poppy seeds
- 185ml warm milk
- 220g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 300g self-raising flour
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 lemon, rind grated, juiced
- 300g icing sugar
- 20 x 10cm (base measurement) loaf pan
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease loaf pan.
- Combine the poppy seeds and milk in a bowl and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Combine the caster sugar and 185g of the butter untill light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs. Fold in the flour gradually, alternate with the poppy seed and milk mix. Finally stir in lemon rind. Alternatively add the ingredients to an electric mixer. Beat on high for 5 minutes until the mixture is pale and thick. Pour into the pan and bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Turn onto a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter and place in a bowl with the icing sugar and lemon juice. Beat with an electric beater until smooth, then drizzle over the cake.