Pasta alla Giovanni
Member recipe by jeepeej
- 100g pasta (spaghetti, linguini, tagliatelle, fettucine, .....)
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 smal tin (68g/) of tomato puree
- 125g mushrooms, roughly cut
- 1 dash of V8 (vegetable juice)
- 1 dash of red wine
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
- 1 slice cheese (not too strong, e.g. Gouda, Swiss, etc.)
- Parmesan, grated
- cayenne pepper
- black pepper
- salt to taste
- FOR THE MUSHROOMS:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp thyme (and/or other herbs, i.e. rosemary, marjoram, oregano, etc.)
- 1 pinch of salt
- Cook the pasta 'al dente'. Fry the mushrooms with a pinch of salt. After a minute add a pinch of cayenne peper and the thyme, and give it a serious toss. After a minute or so add the garlic.
- Saute the onion and a chopped clove of garlic. When it's translucent, add the tomato puree. After a minute add the V8; the red wine; and the herbs. Let it simmer. If the saus becomes too thick, add some cooking water from the pasta.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain it and toss it in a bowl with a wee bit of the sauce. Coat the pasta well.
- Plate the pasta up, put the slice of cheese on it. Ladle the sauce on top of that; scatter the mushrooms across the plate and top it off with Parmesan.