Marble Sponge Cake
Member recipe by charlotter09
Delicious Vanilla & Chocolate Sponge cake with a Cheeky buttercream filling ;)
- For the Marble Cake:
- 225 grams - Unsalted Butter - Softened
- 225 grams - Caster Sugar
- 4 Medium Free Range Eggs
- 225 grams - Self Raising Flour - Sifted
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract/Flavouring
- 3 Tbsp Skimmed Milk
- 2 Tbsp Bournville Coco Powder
- For the ButterCream:
- 225 grams Icing Sugar
- 100 grams Unsalted Butter - Very Soft
- 1tsp Vanilla Flavouring
- 1-tbsp Skimmed Milk / Water
- Heat oven to 180C/gas 160C/gas 4. Ensure you have two 20cm round sandwich tins preferably silacone - if not lightly grease to ensure the cake doesnt stick.
- Place the Softened butter and caster sugar into a mixing bowl and beat together untill combined and soft and fluffy. Add each egg one at a time mixing well after each addition. Once all the eggs are mixed in add the tsp of vanilla extract and mix in.
- Carefully sift in the flour (makes the cake nice and light) with a metal spoon fold in the flour and add the 3 tbsp of skimmed milk mix together until the mixture is nice and smooth with no lumps.
- Divide the mixture between 2 bowls, in one of the bowls add the 2tbsp of bournville coco powder and stir through to give you one bowl of vanilla cake mix and one bowl of chocolatey cake mix.
- Take 2 clean spoons and in each sandwich tin and alternate dollops of the vanilla and chocolate mix - when all the mixture has been used up tap the tins on the worksurface to ensure no air bubbles - take a skewer (or the end of a spoon) and gently swirl it around the cake mixtures to create an even more marbled effect
- Smooth the tops of the cakes and place in the pre-heated oven for approximately 45 mins ( i check after 30 mins to be on the safe side) or until a tooth pick comes out clean and the cake springs back
- Once done, turn the cakes onto a cooling rack and leave to cool totally before you add the buttercream.
- For the Filling - beat the butter until very smooth & creamy - gradually sift the icing sugar stirring well after each addition, half way through add the vanilla extract , continue to add the icing sugar and the milk until a smooth mixture has formed - spread evenly over one of the marble cakes and then sandwich together
- Sit back and enjoy your gorgeous Marble Masterpiece - keeps for upto 3 days in an airtight container (if it lasts that long!! ;)