- 1 tbsp olive oil
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- 4 rashers smoked streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
Onions are endlessly versatile and an essential ingredient in countless recipes. Native to Asia…
- 2 carrots, trimmed and finely chopped
The carrot, with its distinctive bright orange colour, is one of the most versatile root…
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2-3 sprigs rosemary, leaves picked and finely chopped
Rosemary's intense, fragrant aroma has traditionally been paired with lamb, chicken and game…
- 500g beef mince
- 2 x 400g tins plum tomatoes
- small pack basil, leaves picked, ¾ finely chopped and the rest left whole for garnish
Most closely associated with Mediterranean cooking but also very prevalent in Asian food, the…
- 1 tsp dried oregano
Closely related to marjoram, of which it is the wild equivalent, oregano has a coarser, more…
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 125ml red wine
- 6 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 75g Parmesan, grated, plus extra to serve
Parmesan is a straw-coloured hard cheese with a natural yellow rind and rich, fruity flavour. It…
- 400g spaghetti
- crusty bread, to serve (optional)
Put a large heavy-based saucepan on a medium heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the bacon and fry for 10 mins until golden and crisp.
Reduce the heat and add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic and rosemary then fry for 10 mins, stirring often, until the veg has softened.
Increase the heat to medium-high, add the mince and cook stirring for 3-4 mins until the meat is browned all over.
Add the tinned tomatoes, chopped basil, oregano, bay leaves, tomato purée, stock cube, chilli, wine and cherry tomatoes. Stir with a wooden spoon, breaking up the plum tomatoes.
Bring to the boil, reduce to a gentle simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for 1 hr 15 mins stirring occasionally, until you have a rich, thick sauce. Add the Parmesan, check the seasoning and stir.
When the Bolognese is nearly finished cook the spaghetti following pack instructions. Drain the spaghetti and stir into the Bolognese sauce. Serve with grated Parmesan the extra basil leaves and crusty bread, if you like.