Bean & Carrot Patties
Member recipe by mustardcomm
Preparation time: 15 mins + cooling time Cooking time: 35-40 mins Serves 6 Per serving: 169 calories, 4.1g fat, 0.5g saturates, 1.32g salt Counts as two of your 5-A-DAY For more delicious recipe check out www.britishcarrots.co.uk
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 15ml/1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 450g/1lb carrots, trimmed, washed and roughly chopped
- 5ml/1tsp ground cumin
- 5ml/1tsp ground coriander
- 200ml/7floz vegetable stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (400g) can mixed or red kidney beans, drained
- 75g/3oz fresh wholewheat breadcrumbs
- 45ml/3tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- a little spray olive oil or olive oil to brush
- rolls and salad leaves to serve
- Guilt-free Slaw
- 225g/8oz white cabbage, stalk removed
- 225g/8oz carrots, washed
- half a small onion, finely chopped
- 60ml/4tbsp virtually fat free mayonnaise
- 60ml/4tbsp low fat natural yogurt
- 10ml/2tsp Dijon mustard
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and saute for 2 mins. Add the garlic, carrots, cumin and coriander and stir for 1 minute. Pour in the stock, season well and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 10-15 mins or until the carrots are tender. Leave to cool.
- Drain the liquid from the carrots. Then use a potato masher to mash them until lump free. Add the drained beans and mash again until a rough mash is formed. Stir in the breadcrumbs and coriander. Mix well and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- When cold, divide the mixture into six then use wet hands to shape each piece into a round pattie about 2.5cm/1in thick. The patties can be chilled at this point if youâre not serving them straight away.
- Preheat the oven to 220oC/Fan200oC/425oF/Gas Mark 7 and put a large baking sheet in to preheat. Spray or brush a little oil on both sides of the patties then place them on the hot baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 mins or until pale golden.
- To make the coleslaw, finely shred the cabbage, coarsely grate the carrots and mix together in a large bowl with the onion. Add the mayonnaise, yogurt and mustard and mix thoroughly. Chill until required. If liked serve patties in a toasted bun with the coleslaw.