Arame with Lotus Root
Member recipe by kasiaslopien
- 1 cup dried lotus root pieces, soaked for 2 hours
- 1&1/2 cups (dry measure) arame
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 carrot, cut in 1/8-inch thick julienne strips
- 2 tsp mirin
- 2-3 tsp shoyu
- minced parsley or green onion for garnish
- Rinse arame and soak in 3 cups water for 5-10 minutes
- Heat oil over medium heat in a frying pan. Drain the lotus root (as soaked for 2 hours), and saute it briefly.
- Drain the arame, add to pan, toss with lotus root, and saute for 2-3 minutes
- Add arame soaking water or fresh water to almost cover, bring to a boil, and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Layer carrot on top of the arame, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes more
- Add the mirin and 2 teaspoons of shoyu, toss, and simmer for 2-3 minutes more.
- Remove cover. Add a little more shoyu if desired. If there is excess liquid in the pan evaporate it by cooking over medium-high heat for a few minutes, being careful not to scorch the vegetables.
- Place in a serving bowl and garnish with parsley or scallion.