Tofu skewers with satay sauce
Member recipe by davidnunn1
- Tofu skewers:
- 1 (250g) pack tofu
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- dried lemon grass
- Satay sauce:
- 1 small red onion, very finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, fineley chopped or crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Cut the block of tofu into long slices, approx 15mm x 25mm x 100mm, and insert a skewer into each along the long length, and lay in a dish.
- Drizzle sesame oil and and soy sauce over the tofu skewers, and sprinkle over lemon grass and chopped chilli. Marinade for an hour, turning and basting occasionally.
- Meanwhile, make the satay sauce. Fry finely chopped onion for a couple of minutes in the olive oil, then add finely chopped garlic for another minute.
- Add the peanut butter, coconut milk, sugar and soy sauce, then stir until thickened.
- Place the skewers under a hot grill on a baking sheet, and cook for a couple of minutes, or until browned. Turn and cook the other side.
- Re-warm the satay sauce if necessary - add a little water or some of the marinade if it has become too thick. Serve in a small dish on each plate with the tofu skewers.