Chocolate and Ginger Cake
Member recipe by mrsannachild
ServingsServes 1 - 1 Cake
A rich stodgy cake with fresh and dried ginger, cocoa, dark chocolate, spices and molasses.
- 125g butter
- 200g molasses or treacle or dark brown sugar, or use half and half
- 150ml milk
- 1 egg
- about 2 thumbs of fresh ginger chopped finely
- 150g wholemeal flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch smoked sweet paprika
- pinch salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 shake of cayenne or hot paprika or chilli powder
- 100g dark chocolate broken into small chunks
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- Grease 23cm sq appoximately baking tin and get the oven going at 160C.
- In a pan melt butter, sugars and treacles. Take off the heat and stir in the milk and chopped fresh ginger. Gradually stir in beaten egg.
- Put all the dry ingrediants in a bowl except for the choclate, if you don't have any ground almonds just substitute for flour. Mix the Liquid mixture into the cry ingrediants.
- Stir in the Chocolate pieces and pour into the baking tin.
- Bake for about 1 hour and don't open the oven until this time has passed otherwise it will sink. Check it's cooked with a knife in the middle.