Cheesy Leeky Pie
Member recipe by littlecooks
This is a wonderful winter warmer, a slight slant on the tradional cottage pie. Serve with seasonal vegetables & gravy for a real wholesome, filling meal.
- 700g minced beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions (peeled & chopped)
- 100g carrots (peeled & chopped)
- 100g swede (peeled & cut into small cubes)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinanamon
- 2 teaspoon mixed dried herbs
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 300ml beef stock
- 1 1/2 tablespoon tomato puree
- salt & ground black pepper
- For the topping -
- 100g cheddar or your favourite cheese (coarsely grated)
- 3 medium leeks (sliced)
- 1kg potatoes
- Peel & cut the potatoes in to even sizes. Keep the potatoes in water to keep them from turning brown. Put a large pan of water on to boil & add some salt.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan, add the onions when hot & fry for about 5 minutes or until the ends begin to brown. Add the carrots & swede & cook for a further 5 minutes. Now take these off the heat & leave to one side.
- Quickly brown the mince in a large pan. Add salt & pepper, then the vegetables you put to one side. Add the cinnamon, dried mixed herbs & plain flour.
- Gradually add the stock & stir in the tomato puree.
- Turn the heat down on the meat, cover & cook for 30 minutes. Add the potatoes to the pan of boiling water & cook until tender.
- Pre heat oven to gas mark 6, 400F, 200C.
- Drain potaoes, add a knob of butter & mash the potatoes.
- Spoon the meat into a large oven proof dish & spread evenly. Add the mashed potatoes on top & spread evenly. Sprinkle the leeks on top of the potaoes. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the leeks.
- Place in the oven for approximately 25 minutes or until the cheese has melted & the leeks have crisped.