Japanese meat and potatoes
Member recipe by tartanjuda
One of the most popular dishes in Japanese home cooking. You can use either minced or sliced beef or pork.
- 1 tbsp sesame or vegetable oil
- 200g beef or pork mince, or sliced beef or pork
- 2 medium onions, each cut into 8 pieces
- 4 medium potatoes, each cut into 8 equal pieces
- 300-400ml water
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sake (Japanese rice wine) or red wine
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar (option)
- (For the decoration)
- few green beans, boiled in salted water
- few sliced carrot, shaped in flower as photo if you like
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan and brown the meat. Add the onions, stir for 1 minutes, then add the potatoes.
- Cover the potatoes with measured water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the mixture of soy sauce, wine, sugar and honey, and continue simmering until most of the liquid is gone.
- Add the vinegar to intensify the flavour if you wish, remove from the heat, and putting the lid on, allow the potatoes to absorb the taste for at least 30 minutes. It becomes nicer next day.
- Serve with a little decoration as photo if you like.