Anthonys Chilli Con Carnie
Member recipe by swanseagundog
An easy and quick but tasty Chilli con Carnie using fresh ingrediants.
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon Chilli powder (hot )
- 1 beef oxo cube
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon Tomato puree
- 1 large tin diced tomato (Tesco cheapies)
- Olive oil - just enough to brown onion and garlic as beef will produce some fat
- 500g lean mince beef
- 125g Chestnut Mushrooms (more flavour than button mushrooms)
- 1 large tin Red kidney bean
- Salt and pepper to season
- Put some oil in a large frying pan or wok and heat on a medium heat. Dice the onion and crush the garlic and add to the oil until the onion is soft, don't burn the garlic as it will become bitter.
- Next add the tomato puree and cook out for about a minute to reduce the bitterness. Breakup the mince and add to the pan season and brown off the meat, don't overcook the meat or burn it.
- Whilst meat is browning empty tomatoes in to a jug and add chilli powder and crumble in the oxo cube and mix all together. Once the meat is ready pour over the tomato and chilli mix and stir in to the meat and simmer. Whilst this is cooking wash kidney beans and add to the pan. As the chilli is cooking the mixture will produce its own liquid, cut the mushrooms in to quarters and add to the mixture. Simmer until mushrooms are done and sauce is at required consistency.
- Taste and add more chilli or season to suit individual taste.
- Put Table spoon of sour cream on chilli to serve if required (will reduce chilli effect if too hot) ENJOY
- If having rice wash rice until water is clear, 2 cup of rice to four cups of water. Bring rice to the boil and reduce heat and simmer. Once water is at or below level of the rice turn heat to lowest setting and cover with lid to steam rice. Don't let rice burn, when ready drain and fluff up with a fork and serve with chilli. If not ready to serve leave rice in sieve and place over pan of hot water and put lid on top, this will keep rice moist and hot. Don't let rice sit in water!