A step-by-step plan to serving up a sumptuous Christmas meal for 8 people, from freezing ahead to Christmas Eve prep, parboiling and plate warming. Find a time plan, all the recipes, plus more tips and inspiration below….
Find more festive recipe inspiration and cooking advice in one place by visiting our Christmas kitchen.
Your Christmas time plan
Up to a month before:
Four days before:
Salt the turkey
Three days before:
Confit the legs and wings
Two days before:
Prepare the trimmings
Turkey & potatoes
Christmas Day 10am:
Prepare the vegetables
Christmas Day 11am:
Get the bird ready
- Take the turkey crown and confit out of the fridge. Remove the legs and wings form the duck fat and keep the fat to one side.
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5 just before 12pm.
Christmas Day 12pm:
Christmas Day 12:30pm:
Prepare the roasties
- Put the duck fat in the oven to heat for roasting the potatoes.
- After 10 mins, put the potatoes in the hot duck fat and roast for 1 hr 20 mins.
Christmas Day 1:10pm:
Plate up starters
- Take the cranberry sauce out of the fridge to bring to room temperature.
- Make the pickled shallots, apple balls and dressing for the ham hock & pistachio roll. Plate up the starter, ready to serve at 2pm.
Christmas Day 1:20pm:
Roast the vegetables
- Roast the parsnips for 40 mins.
- Take the turkey crown out of the oven, transfer to a platter and leave to rest for at least 30 mins.
Christmas Day 1:30pm:
Veggie option and pigs and pigs in blankets
Christmas Day 1:40pm:
The final fourishes
Christmas Day 2pm:
Enjoy your lunch
- Enjoy the starter with your guests, then serve the main course with all the trimmings.
Enjoyed this Christmas plan? Find more festive recipes…
How to prepare and carve a turkey
10 Quick Christmas starters
How to make the ultimate roast potatoes
Christmas side dish recipes
Top 10 drinks for Christmas
Festive dessert recipes